Rob Ryan

by - January 18, 2009

I stumbled across the work of Rob Ryan not too long ago as I was perusing around a gallery. I tell you, this chap can sure as heck wield a scalpel. His papercut artwork is so delicate and so beautiful in visuals and whimsical in words it can melt even my black, black heart.



I was having a conversation with a friend about purchasing one of these beauties but she said that it wouldn't be a good financial decision as paper degrades and his work has become so popular. It's a good point, but I DON'T CARE. I like them and in my book that's a good enough reason. The ugly things people must hang on their walls because they are a good investment. For many years as an art student I milled aloof around galleries, believing I saw something prolific in what typically was nothing, chuckling at the overheard philistine comments from people going "gor, my 5 year old could do that". Well you know what? Maybe they were right! Increasingly I am losing patience with obscure art. Yes, it is there to question, to provoke, to inspire. But its also there to display and thus - aesthetic is king. I say, if you like it - it's good art. If you can afford it, buy it - what the hey.

And going back to "modern" art as a good investment. Charles Saatchi bought Tracey Emin's unmade bed for £150,000. Great, now he must just look like a lazy, unkempt what-not if he has that displayed in his house. Let's just hope he briefed the housekeeper properly, eh.

You May Also Like

0 comments